Borderline Madness Headline Animator

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Falcon Lake Murder: The Broken Window Fallacy

Have you ever witnessed the anger of the good shopkeeper, James Goodfellow, when his careless son happened to break a pane of glass?

If you have been present at such a scene, you will most assuredly bear witness to the fact that every one of the spectators, were there even thirty of them, by common consent apparently, offered the unfortunate owner this invariable consolation—

"It is an ill wind that blows nobody good. Everybody must live, and what would become of the glaziers if panes of glass were never broken?"

Now, this form of condolence contains an entire theory, which it will be well to show up in this simple case, seeing that it is precisely the same as that which, unhappily, regulates the greater part of our economical institutions.

Suppose it cost six francs to repair the damage, and you say that the accident brings six francs to the glazier's trade—that it encourages that trade to the amount of six francs—I grant it;

I have not a word to say against it; you reason justly.

The glazier comes, performs his task, receives his six francs, rubs his hands, and, in his heart, blesses the careless child.

All this is that which is seen.

But if, on the other hand, you come to the conclusion, as is too often the case, that it is a good thing to break windows, that it causes money to circulate, and that the encouragement of industry in general will be the result of it, you will oblige me to call out, "Stop there! Your theory is confined to that which is seen; it takes no account of that which is not seen."

It is not seen that as our shopkeeper has spent six francs upon one thing, he cannot spend them upon another.

It is not seen that if he had not had a window to replace, he would, perhaps, have replaced his old shoes, or added another book to his library.

In short, he would have employed his six francs in some way, which this accident has prevented

The top story is a parable written by Frédéric Bastiat and taken from an essay he wrote on political economics.  That essay is called, "That Which is Seen and That Which is Not Seen".

The essay is a good read, and I would recommend people to visit the link and read it to get a better understanding about how I view issues on the border.  My favorite is the Broken Window Fallacy in which it explains how a community loses money over a broken window in a time where everyone views that broken window as an economic gain.

This is exactly how I feel when I hear stories like that of David Hartley.

Tiffany has said many times that she believes David died for a bigger reason, and that she's supposed to be here doing this (fighting for border security).

In short, David's death was the broken window, and Tiffany's voice is the economic gain.

Or so they think...

In the midst of this tragedy, those who live on the border are bombarded with the constant questions of how safe it really is to live here.  Many just role their eyes and explain that it's all blown out of proportion.

Trying to convince myself it wasn't just me, I visited Falcon Lake recently and asked the locals of Zapata County how they felt living so close to the border.  I, of course, disguised myself as someone who was just curiously asking a question and I was surprised at the emotions that were shown by many of the local business owners.

"They exaggerate too much.  It's totally safe out here.  People make it sound like we are living in a war zone, but we are not," said one local fish and tackle owner whom I will not name as he did not know I was sort of interviewing him for my blog.

But it's convenient for a business owner to say it is safe because they are the ones that are losing business to stories like the Hartley's.  If I take their word for what they say it is only because I am a border resident myself from this area, and I can testify that the stories are truly exaggerated.  Take for example the following clip:


@ 1:30 Sheriff Sigifredo Gonzalez claims the following:

"It is literally a war.  If you stand by the border you can hear the grenades..you can hear the uh rocket propelled grenades, you can hear the gunfire.  We're being overrun by the drug cartels!"

Notice the look of the border patrol after he says that.  You can tell they know he's full of shit, because he is.

So I take it Tiffany was deaf as well as stupid then, huh, Sheriff Sigi?

Surely she must have heard the grenades and rocket propelled grenades and gunfire that it should have prevented her from going into Mexico.

But I wonder why she went anyways?  Could it have been because she didn't hear anything?

I know I didn't hear anything from my visit to Falcon Lake and my fishing trips to the river or my shopping in town that is just a block away from Mexico.

Man, that guy will go to any lengths to get money in his pockets won't he?!!

But that aside, Tiffany was interviewed recently by Robin Craig of Today's Widow.  Here's the video:
You know, I like Robin Craig because she reminds me of my mother, not only in the way she looks, but because my mother is a widow too (as I assume Ms. Craig is also).

I really like the fact that she asked a lot of questions, but I wish she had asked the questions that her viewers were asking.  In this interview, Tiffany again says that she never experienced any violence while living in Mexico.  As I mentioned previously, Tiffany is out right lying, as she clearly stated in her facebook wall that she and David were kicked out of their home by the cartels and left homeless.  That's how they ended up in McAllen.

So why does she insist she was innocent to the violence going on down in Reynosa?

I also find it hard to believe that no one, besides the good Samaritan, saw or heard anything.  I went down to Falcon Lake myself to get a closer look at the scene and was surprised at all the evidence I found that clearly makes this story as beyond weird.

Not only did I pass 4 public boat ramps to get to Subways, but Subways was just a block away from the police department.  Then, based on the news videos of the public boat ramp from which they allegedly launched from, that means they must have done a U-turn from Subways to go back to the 4th public boat ramp.

This whole time I kept wondering why they passed so many public boat ramps?

The first public boat ramp is the one that leads to the international bridge and the Falcon Lake Dam.  From that public boat ramp to the next, it was maybe a 30 minute drive.  The third and fourth boat ramp being about 10 minutes in between.  Why did they pass all those public boat ramps?

It almost felt to me like they were intent on getting to this 4th public boat ramp on purpose, and I can see why, but I will reveal those details later.

From this public boat ramp, you could clearly see all the way out to Mexico.  I could see the posts that mark the boundaries in the water, and I could see people on speed boats and jet-skis racing back and forth on the water in the distance.

Now, I need glasses, but even without my glasses I could very clearly see these people out there on the water.

One boat made me giggle a little because from where I was at, maybe it was my eye sight or something, but it looked all black, even the people in the boat looked like they were dressed in black, and it reminded me of pirates.

But they were fishing, standing still in the water and boats raced back and forth behind them.

Why, I just had to wonder...this place was very busy!

Boats and jet-skis were constantly being loaded and unloaded into the water from the very same spot that Tiffany and David must have unloaded their jet-skis.  Surely there had to be more than one witness!  At no point did I see the flow of people going in and out slow down.  People were constantly there!

And from where I was fishing, I had no choice but to be looking out into the waters into Mexico, to the very same spot that more than likely Tiffany came out from before dialling 911.

It was all a very surreal experience for me.  It was like I was there and something was telling me that I was not crazy for believing that there is more to this story than what is being told.

In Robin Craig's interview, Tiffany brings up the story about the ranchers being displaced by the cartels.

That story is very fitting for Tiffany, as the story about the ranchers being kicked out by the cartels was proven to be a lie made up by Jeff Schwilk, the founder of the anti-immigration San Diego Minutemen, aka "Bikini Boy".
Jeff Schwilk posing in his bathing suits.
She also mentions the murder of Robert Krentz, but goes on to add that he was murdered by "illegals".

She surely needs to contact authorities with that bit of information, as no one knows for sure who killed Robert Krentz, not even the authorities themselves.  Robert Krentz was known to help undocumented immigrants in need, so it could have been one of those anti-immigrant nut cases setting this up to make his murder look like it was done by undocumented immigrants.

The murders of the missionary and the ICE agent happened in Mexico, not the USA.  I hate it when they make it sound like it happened here.  People need to get that through their heads!  They happened in MEXICO!  That is why the US government is NOT responding to these incidents with troops to the border, because they happened outside of this country, not on our Texas borders!  Had they actually happened on our soil, I would be equally upset if they didn't respond.

But they didn't!

Well..except for the ICE agent because he was one of the special ones.

Now, it's not to say that I don't think the US should get involved, but that's just opening a whole other door.  The US can only get involved so far before crossing the line.  They've done what they can.  What else do we want them to do?  Start a war?

I bet we wouldn't like it if Mexico did the same to us.  People already get pissed off when Mexico gets involved when one of their own is murdered by border patrol.

But I take it we are justified when we are the ones doing the unnecessary killings and Mexico needs to do their part to keep their people over there, right?

I wonder, then, what else can the US do if they've been warning people for months before the Hartley's not to go to Mexico?

Anyways, we are working on some interesting new developments, but they may take weeks to process.  I do have more to say, but I will leave that for next time.

Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. Excellent article. I am pretty darned impressed by your investigation. I have never heard mention of the amount of people on and around the lake that day (jet skiers, boaters, fishermen, or even picnickers on shore. This incident was said to have occurred on a Thursday. I was wondering what day of the week you visited Zapata.

    Also, is it possible that the 4th ramp was chosen merely b/c that was the closest to the water destination -and maybe there were no places to get lunch along the way, so overshot, then circled back...? Funny during telling her story over and over she goes from
    DH was researching, we decided to go that morning, >>>>>>>>>>fast forward to on the way to and AT the church.

    What has never been part of the story is loading up the skis, driving, getting stopped by DPS, grabbing sandwiches at Subway, going to boat ramp, eating the sandwiches, unloading skis...I mean all of those small details are missing every time.... I think it is odd...and I wonder that not ONE private citizen has come forward with all the media hype to say they saw them anywhere (Subway, boat ramp, gas station, etc...) -it was ONLY Law Enforcement who said they saw them.

    Thanks for the article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The author here is absolutely correct. At any given time, weekdays, weekends, Falcon Lake is full of sports fishermen, boaters and families on the shore. It is not the deserted lake that Hartley would have you believe. Poor little her against an armada of those mean Messicun pirates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh....Rumors in Laredo says Hartley had a lot of money on him when he headed across that lake.
    She claims to be broke; where'd it go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mexico is just messed up

    ReplyDelete

Stop Demonizing Our Borders

Subscribe Now: iheart

I heart FeedBurner